The Red Point Siamese is a cat that was developed from the cross between a Siamese and an orange tabby cat to have the physical traits of both felines: a slender body and abundant cream-colored fur, but with legs, ears, the tail and the face of a darker tone, according to standards of the International Cat Association .
Many believe that this rather beautiful-looking kitten is difficult to find or rare to see, there are even those who think that it does not even exist; If fortunately you have one under your care at home, but you do not know what diseases it can develop , here we tell you the most common according to the experts of the AniCura association .
What diseases can a Red Point Siamese have?
In general, the Siamese Red Point is a healthy feline of approximately 5.4 kilos in weight, and is considered quite long-lived, since it can live up to 20 years if it is kept in good conditions. However, as with all cats, he is prone to developing certain breed-related health problems , such as:
- Amyloidosis . It is a disease that attacks when a type of protein called amyloid is deposited in the feline’s organs, especially in the liver.
- Congenital heart disease . It is a heart problem that is present at birth; it affects the function and structure of the heart.
- feline asthma . This is caused by inflammation of the lungs or the lower airways called bronchi; It arises as a consequence of the inhalation of some type of irritating substance such as pollen, tobacco, dust, cleaning products or mold.
- respiratory infections . In addition to asthma, this cat breed is prone to developing bronchitis, pneumonia, and/or rhinotracheitis.
- Mediastinal lymphoma . It is a condition that is presented through difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, and coughing or regurgitation.
- Intestinal tumors . Also called gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors, they are a type of cancer in the lining of the digestive tract, that is, the intestines.
- Progressive retinal atrophy . It is an inherited disease that causes vision loss in both eyes.
- Hip dysplasia . This is an abnormality in the hip joint that causes the hip joint to not fit the way it should, which could lead to arthritis.
- Itches . It is a rare condition that refers to the ingestion of non-edible things, such as plastic, clothing or other objects.
For the early detection of some of the aforementioned diseases , you should take your Siamese Red Point to his veterinary check -ups with recurrence, this so that he is subjected to the following medical tests , as indicated by the animal health expert:
- Cardiac evaluation
- Airway Assessment
- Bowel evaluation
- Ophthalmologic (eye) evaluation
- hip evaluation